January 31, 2010

Ride Hours: 01:48

Insulin Delivery Summary:
Daily Total: 45.41 units
Meal: 16.70u
Corr: 3.40u
Basal: 25.31u

Daily Carb Intake Bolused For: 266g

Much warmer today than the high of 23 yesterday (we still live in NC right?), and the sun was out.  YEAH!!  Played with the boys and K in the morning out in the snow.  The boys have been sledding like MAD, and it has been a BALL to see them playing in the rare NC snow.



I was able to squeeze a ride in from 13:40-15:45 in between sleigh rides.  :)  Due to a time rush, I only managed to set my temp basal rate to a 65% reduction about 30 minutes before the ride start.  Hence the 10% larger than normal reduction - no worries.

We still had 4 or 5" of snow on the ground in most places, and some of the route I picked required more effort than normal.  I stayed on the rain hill repeat loop, which involves no single track, but only about 1/2 mile of road.



Since we don't get much of the white stuff, I was amazed at how much different the double track was - specifically the rocky sections.  The snow just smoothed them right out.  You laugh, but I never expected that.  I figured it would have been harder, but was actually easier.  Of course, on the flip side, I did manage to miss judge the side of a bridge going over a creek.  LOL!



During the ride I consumed 1 performance bar, which made the intake about 15g of Cs every 30 minutes. Also, 16oz of Nuun enhanced water per hour.  Hard to remember to stay on the hydration when it is so cold, and since I was pretty wet after about 10 whole minutes.

All that aside... riding in the snow is a COMPLETE BLAST.  Of course the advantage of 29" tires here is painfully obvious.  The Bonty Mud X tires once again proved to be the perfect choice.  I am feeling more and more confident that these are the only tire needed on a 29er.




Max HR:   181 BPM
Avg HR:   149 BPM
Calories:   1,677 kCal



I did not set an over night post ride temp basal rate as the ride was early enough in the day.  Not sure what tomorrow brings, as schools are closed...

However I start my new training plan tomorrow, so I am looking forward to it.