March 28, 2009

Daily Total: 38.15 Ride Hours: 02:22

Insulin Breakdown:
Meal: 12.95u
Corr: 0.50u
Basal: 24.70u

Daily Carb Intake Bolused For: 201g

Daily Pump Details Downloaded via CozManager and CoPilot

Weather was decent, but of course all trails are soaked! So I headed over to Umstead State Park for some double track on the HiFi with George Scott (aka Dirt Dawg).

Had a good ride and fun rolling around with George. Really only hydrated during the ride, and didn't really eat that much.

Energy Expenditure 1248 kcal
Number of Heart Beats 15840 beats
Minimum Heart Rate 88 bpm
Average Heart Rate 144 bpm
Maximum Heart Rate 182 bpm
Ascent 1158 ft

As most of you who follow the blog and the forum threads know, Smiths Medical decided to stop selling their Cozmo insulin pump as of March 25th. It was a HUGE surprise to everyone involved.

My heart and thoughts go out to everyone in business development at Cozmore who lost their positions do to this decision. I have had an opportunity to meet most of these folks, and have always been impressed with their dedication to improving the quality of life of us diabetics.

The future success and well being of these employees is of primary importance.

In particular I want to thank Steve McGuinn, Mark Jones, and Susumu Akatsu for believing in me (both as a diabetic and a cyclist) and the Type1Rider community. The three of these guys at Smiths Medical really took the time to look at endurance mountain bike racing, and fully understand how difficult it is for a Type 1 diabetic to compete in it.

I wish you all the best.

For me as a diabetic, the effect is generally minimal. Cozmore will support my pump, continue to develop and sell supplies, and honor the warranty for four more years. So it is all systems normal.

For me via the Type1Rider organization stand point, it is good and bad. Good in the fact that Type1Rider will not be affected in anyway, shape, or form. On the other hand it is a little heartbreaking, as I was looking forward to speaking with folks at the events that Smiths Medical had on my calendar. As it states on the front page of the site, the primary goals of Type1Rider are outreach and advocacy. That mission was impacted greatly today.

I am hoping to find another opportunity to attend some of these meetings and seminars, and will work hard to do so. Fingers crossed.

So, as usual I will just keep on cranking the pedals. One rotation at a time.

Thanks!