February 12, 2009

Daily Total: 39.30 Ride Hours: 01:36

Insulin Breakdown:
Meal: 11.20u
Corr: 2.00u
Basal: 26.10u

Daily Carb Intake Bolused For: 178g

Daily Pump Details Downloaded via CozManager and CoPilot

First the ride stuff. :)

After work rolled out on the RIG for about 90 minutes. Just wanted to feel out what the knee can and can't do, and how well the super stitch job will hold up.

Knee felt perfectly fine, and no stitches got ripped out, so I am good to go. Sweet.

Energy Expenditure 890 kcal
Number of Heart Beats 11816 beats
Minimum Heart Rate 108 bpm
Average Heart Rate 137 bpm
Maximum Heart Rate 171 bpm
Ascent 996 ft



Now, the bigger issue. I am going to be making some MAJOR mods to my basal rate in a day or two. I am still running on the low side most of the time, and I am still not eating as I had been for the past 4 or 5 months.

Needing to drop another 5lbs or so, and my stomach is still not exactly right. Will post the details on the pump changes when I get it done, but figure a 10% or so total basal reduction across the board.

Also, managed to show my face to the CSH crew and talked to Marcee for the first time today since the incident.

I have to tell you, Steve and Marcee at CSH get it. I mean they really do. Marcee, you are the best training partner and teammate I could ever imagine. Thank you. (And please don't ever through the Superfly down again). ;)

They understand how much I feel that I assume the identity of each of the 23 million diabetics in the US whenever I put the Type1Rider kit on. It labels me as one of them, and I represent them ALL while wearing that tag.

Failure (like incidents the other night) are completely unacceptable by me. I know it sounds ridiculous, but riding with the self imposed weight of the 23,000,000 other T1s and T2s is hard to shake when things go bad. Feels like I let everyone down. Like I am showing that something isn't possible for us to do. Of course I don't believe that... but the doubt begins creeps in.

It takes me about 24-48 hours to remember that diabetes is a relentless disease that never stops, and will find a way to raise its head once in a while. Tuesday was a perfect storm. Horribly sick last week. Trying to drastically cut my caloric intake. Weather changing so longer more intense rides starting. All my experience and wonderfully effective tools couldn't prevent it.

Steve was awesome and really made me more relaxed about the whole situation, and helped me to refocus on the important big picture. Thanks so much for the call and text msg on Wednesday, and the time to chat.

I always say this blog is an open book to my life living and training with type 1 diabetes. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Tuesday was ugly. I can only make adjustments, and extract all I can from the experience to learn from it.

Just gotta keep turning the pedals and repeatably punch diabetes in the throat.... one stroke at a time.