January 20, 2014

Riding Just To Ride

Training Hours: Ride: 02:29 Run: 00:00 Other: 00:00

Insulin Delivery Summary:
Daily Total: 47.05 units
Bolus (42%) 19.60u
Basal: (58%) 27.45u

On very short money, I have been slowly working on rebuilding a bike that I have had hanging on the wall.  It was a gift from a very good friend of mine, about 5 years back now.  It served it's purpose at the time, and was much more beneficial to me hanging on the wall then being ridden.

As time continued to press forward, the opportunity arose to put it back together.  After stripping and selling some frames, and moving parts around, I had all the pieces - crankset, fork, wheels, brakes, etc. -available, so I figured it was time to see if I could press it back into service.

To do the magnificent frame, and my friend, justice by riding it.  As it was meant to be.


After a professional going over to make sure I everything was tightened to specs, I picked the bike up this morning from my friends Rob and Jason at Back Alley Bikes.  The weather was going to be in the mid 60s and sunny today, and it was a holiday and all....

Around 12:30 I set my basal rate on my OmniPod to the normal preset ride rate of a 65% reduction.  I was hoping to be out and riding by 13:15, and was not going to be at a reduced rate for an hour or so preride, so I did take in a few simple carbs (about 20g) worth at 12:45.

It was really like "old times" riding that Fisher.  It was exactly as I remembered it.  Fantastic.  Just fantastic.


About half way through the planned ride, I tested and was at 64.  I made no adjustments to my basal rate (which I suppose I should have), and took in 25g of carbs via a Gu.

About 45 minutes later I was still hovering low at a 50.  At this point, as I was one the return trip, I took in some simple Cs (35g) via a soft drink I was carrying.

When I arrived home about 2.5hrs, at 15:43, after the start, I was rocking a 98.  I cancelled my temp basal rate and bolused 1.5u for the normal post ride BG spike.


My BGs crept up a little bit during the remainder of the after noon and into the evening.  This was mostly by not bolusing enough for that normal little hitch, and for the amount of carbs I consumed relatively close to the ride end.

No worries.

Before bed at 23:03 I was a 102.  I set a standard post ride overnight temp basal of a 35% reduction.

I had an unbelievably great time riding today.  Just tearing around in the sun... riding with old friend.  It great having that bike available again.  For it's truly intended purpose. :)

Keep choppin'!!