October 2, 2013

A Hitchhiker

Training Hours: Ride: 02:01 Run: 00:00 Other: 00:00

Insulin Delivery Summary:
Daily Total: 40.95 units
Bolus (57%) 23.50u
Basal: (43%) 17.45u 

Recovering from a very stress first coupe of days of the week, I was able to finish some outstanding items up and take advantage of the beautiful weather to get on the mountain bike after work today. It's been unseasonably mild - and sunny - so much so that it feel more like April then Oct.

At 15:44 I set a normal preride temp basal rate of a 65% reduction.  I try to time this to be about an hour before I head out, and today that seemed to be right on time.

I headed out on the Single Speed about and hour later, and headed to a local well known trail system.

I saw a couple of people nearer to the entrance, but the woods was generally sans of any mountain bikers.  


As you can see in the photo, the weather and nature where pretty sweet!

During the ride I took in about 20g C per hour via a Honey Stinger gel, and that seemed to work well.  No nutrition in the bottle, just straight up unflavored H2O. 

On the climb back out towards home I noticed I had a "hitchhiker", for real.  I stopped and let him off before continuing on towards home. 



In all my years, I have never had that happen before.  It was happy to get off the bike me thinks.  LOL!

Got back to home a touch of 2 hours after I started. 

My BG was a 79, and, I cancelled my temp basal at this time.  Even though I was below optimum, I did bolus 1.5u to ward off the normal post ride glucose spike.  

This worked out perfectly, as a few hours later I was sitting at a 132.

I turned in a little after 22:00, and did set a normal post ride over night temp basal rate of a 25% reduction for 7 hours.

All in all a great ride today on the rigid 29er.

Keep Choppin' everyone!!