May 27, 2012

Training Hours: Ride: 03:24 Run: 00:00 Other: 00:00

Insulin Delivery Summary:
Daily Total: 38.00 units
Bolus (37%) 13.95u
Basal: (63%) 24.05u

Weird day on the bike today.  Not a bad day, just a weird day.

I was planning on riding the Tour Divide prepared and loaded S'fly today, but then just had an urge to go and play.  No training, no HRM, no GPS, nothing.  Just wanted to go and rip around and listen to loud music on my iPod.

I set a temp basal of a 65% reduction at 9:36 in hopes to be out the door by 10:45.

Since I was leaving the Superfly at home, I headed out on the deck to grab the HiFi. I opened the door and walked out and was immediately surrounded by a cloud of wasps.  I was stung on the back about 5 or 6 times before I got back into the house and slammed the door.

OUCH!!

I snuck out the other door on the other side, and grabbed the bike from the other direction.  Seems that a couple of families of wasps moved in over night.  I just let this whole incident slide... and will get Orkin to work on it on Tuesday.

Since I got waylaid slightly by the wasps, and changed bikes (repair kit, water bottle, fast acting, etc) I didn't get out the door on the bike until nearly 11:25.



No worries.

It took about 15 minutes and I was thinking to myself.... dang.  My legs are tired today.  What is the problem?

The whole ride kinda went that way.  Just off.  Tired legs.  Bike felt slow. I was slow.  Etc....

Weather was amazing however, and I took a few minutes to ride through UNC Chapel Hill campus.  I say it all the time, but I love this place!!



Well, about 3 hours later I discovered the problem with the bike. I was descending a hill heading into town, and, without touching it, the rear wheel simply began locking up. Releasing. Then locking up. Seems the rear caliper was grabbing the rotor the entire time.



Well THAT made me feel MUCH better. About the everything.

I cancelled my temp basal rate, detached the rear brake, and limped the bike back home.

When I got there at 14:45 my BG was a 65.  I waited 30 minutes, and then administered the standard post ride bolus.  I figured 2 units should cover it.

 By 15:56 I was 137.  Perfect.

I spent the evening working on the GPS and getting the Tour Divide maps loaded into it.  To do so I needed to download and install a new DeLorme Topo application, and I fiddled with that for a while.  I haven't quite figured it out completely yet, but, hopefully, before next weekends Tour de Cure ride I will have it down.

Went to bed running a pretty normal post ride overnight temp basal rate of 85%.