July 26, 2010

Ride Hours: 02:17

Insulin Delivery Summary:
Daily Total: 47.87 units
Meal: 16.75u
Corr: 6.85u
Basal: 24.27u

Daily Carb Intake Bolused For: 240g

Been training and working on some Type1Rider organization stuff, so I have missed a few training blog entries.  I am going to trying to catch up, and combine them here.  Have spent 5 out of the past 6 days in the saddle - one saddle or another.

The big news over the past couple of days has been the heat, and trying to ride around it.  For example, it was 101 on Sunday and in the triple digits the past couple of days.  Contrary to what you might think, hydration really isn't the issue as long as you stay on top of it.  The problem is the humidity driving heat index is up near 120.  The body just cooks as you are trying to push the pace at these temps. 

On July 22nd I road on my mtb for about 2 hours or so.  As I was heading through the town of Chapel Hill towards the customary trail system I noticed unbelievably light traffic.  Actually, no traffic.  Zip.  Nada.  Not a car.  I must have been just jammin to the tunes on my iPod, as I didn't see all the road closures either. 

Turns out Vice President Joe Biden was on his way to town to attend a fund raiser at the Carolina Inn.  I did manage to get a good shot of some secret service people.  Yes, you do need to look closely as they are wearing black suits against a dark backdrop, but they are there.  Guy was wearing a tie and jacket (and the required ear piece) while standing outside in 100 degree weather.  Hazard pay for sure.  Not sure if I am not supposed to take pics of these guys, but I should know soon after posting I guess....


Was cool to have the streets so empty.  Notice no cars in this pic a fairly major intersection in town.  :)

Also, I was rocking my new Giro helmet for the first time.  New helmets just feel so good (and hey, they smell good too).






On Friday the 23rd, I took advantage of the heat and an empty American Tabacco Trail to do some interval work on the Superfly.  Although this pic is a little blurry, I was at speed and shooting with a camera built into the phone (just saying).  For a split second I figured this deer was going to just stand there and make me go around.  Luckily I went right...



Other pics I grabbed from the rides over the last couple of days, including tonight:











I did want to take a moment and mention that I have been fortunate enough to befriend recently parents of Type 1 children.  These kids vary in age, but some are under the age of two. Although I have spoken to 100s of families and children about being Type 1,  I feel like I am really learning on a more real time (social media updates) basis of how difficult these new friends have it.

Lots of different situations, lots of effort, and tons of worry.  Even though I have been T1 for 33 years, over the past weeks I have gained a new level of understanding of what y'all face each and everyday with a little one.

I applaud you for fighting the good fight each and everyday, for staying positive, and for supporting each other in the way that you do.





Got the day off the bike tomorrow, and then a back to it!!   I have been really energized about riding the past couple of weeks, and can't wait until Wednesday!!