May 2, 2009

Fort Yargo 12 Hour:EPS Race # 2 - Result: 7th Expert

Daily Total: 39.41 Race Hours: 07:57

Time BG Carbs Units
---- -- ----- -----

22:56 206cz
19:01 110cz
18:40 110cz
18:29 Race End
16:12 67cz
14:23 181cz
12:39 169cz
11:18 198cz
10:00 Race Start
06:19 225cz
03:28 247cz

Calories: 5985kcal  
Num of Heart Beats: 73095 
Min Heart Rate    109    bpm  
Avg Heart Rate    153    bpm  
MaxHeart Rate    179    bpm  
Ascent: 4616ft 

Its 02:16 and I just got back home from the 12hr race. What a wild and strange event it turned out to be.  400+ racers in attendance, including a pair of 29er Crew members I saw.
Spent yesterday (Friday) traveling in the morning and then in Athens, GA during the afternoon and evening.  It’s a week before graduation, and the town is hoppin!  Not sure what was up with the photo shoot of Miss U of G in the middle of downtown but had to grab a shot anyway.  Athens is a GREAT college town!  If you are there, may I suggest Athens Sushi Bar Utage.

While I was hanging in my pit and eating some breakfast, a family of three from Atlanta walked over. They wanted to give Gary Fisher props for letting me continue to run the Type1Rider kit while on the 29er Crew.  True that!!!

They are a Mom and Daughter Type 1, Dad Type 2.  Mom and Daughter thinking about doing a 6 hr duo, and they visit the Crew and T1R sites all the time.  They wanted to come out and talk with me and check out what a race is like before comitting.  We had a great chat, and I thank them for coming over to say hi.  It was my pleasure to meet the three of you!!

Hopefully I convinced them to try. I think I did.

First lap, my continuous glucose monitor stopped working.  This was a bummer, and it let me to over fuel and raise my blood sugar a little too much.  I tested when back in the pits, and made some corrections via a small bolus.  The   trail was damp, but was not overly wet or muddy at all.   A little spongy on one double track uphill, but nothing to speak of.  I took my time, and settled in to a solid 12 hour pace.

About 2.5hrs in the first MASSIVE rainstorm came in. I had just started a lap (like 1 mile in).  It was crazy. In about 15 minutes the hills where downhill running creeks, and there was standing water covering  a good 40% of the trail.

That began to dry and run off about 45 minutes later.  What followed was best described as rice pudding.  About 3 inches of wet, churned up Georgia red mud. Nice!

The riders with support crews made out best for sure (I need to find me some of those).  :)  The neutral shop support was completely overwhelmed. My drive train began to complain, but hung in there for a bit.

Due to rider error (aka riding like a dumess) I crashed hard on a slick mud bog of fast trail section on lap 3, and that really sealed the drive train’s fate. The bike ended up on it’s drive side in about 4 inches of mud.  Derailleur hanger bent, and the shifters, cables, and cassette where packed SOLID with mud.  No gear changes until I got back to the pits.  Heck, I couldn’t even locate my shifter packed in that goo.

Cleaned and lubed the best I could using what I had, then headed out for more laps.  Couldn’t get into the smaller rings or ratios as the shifter began to move, but the derailleur didn’t.  LOL!  Using the one available gear it would hold on the middle ring was ok, but climbing on the slick mud in that ratio was a challenge at best.  I was Laughing out loud and having fun for sure!!

Another smaller rain storm followed 50 minutes after the first. The weather and condition messed with the scoring and timing chip systems, and the organizers really had their hands full keeping it all straight.  They did a great job though, and in the the end got it all squared away.  Nice work shout to those guys!

Another big storm was coming in, and I heard the race director having a serious discussion about shorting the race when I completed what turned out to be my last lap. No gear changes happening, and the drive train was seizing and skipping in every gear.

Figured I would call it a day at that point, get packed up before the apocalypse, and get the Civic off the dirt and grass field before it became a quagmire!  This is a “sticky situation” (great South Park episode).

Headed back to hotel and showered (a 25 minute process to get it all off).  Put the Superfly in the shower for a low presure rinse first.  I am sure there is going to be a charge for that.  :). Then checked out and headed home.

BG were ok during the race considering the loss of the CGMS, and the fairly longer pit stops to make drive train
repairs (read blessings).  Glucose readings ranged from 198 - 67.

Not an overly successful day, but not a complete loss either.  Finished 7th which will help in the overall standing halfway through this series.  I had a good time and was pleased that I was able to meet another Type 1 diabetic out on the trail.

The 29 inch tire REALLY made a difference under these conditions.  Seemed that more of the smaller wheeled folks where struggling much more just keeping it on the trail.  The Superfly excelled as usual, and hopefully she forgives me for tearing her up.  Going to Cycling Spoken Here in a few hours to start the tear down process.  Spit and shine.

Sounds weird, but I felt a little bad about riding the trail system with it being SO wet and muddy.  This also was a contributing factor to me stopping a couple of hours early.  Hopefully the damage is minimal and they will let us race there again next year.

Pics worth a thousand dirty words.  See the gallery by following the link below.